Tuesday, September 15, 2009

No News Feeds??!!

I logged into Facebook the other day and to my utter shock, my home page had no News Feeds!! There was just this message saying, "There are no News Feeds for you. If you want to receive News Feeds, add somebody you know as a friend."

What on earth was going on? I immediately pinged a friend on yet another indispensable e-communication tool - gchat. I've pasted the conversation below which conveys the state of panic that I was in.

me: i am not able to see any news feeds on my facebook home page!!
how did that happen?
friend: wow !! congrats

that is everyone's dream i guess :D
me: arre.. no seriously, it says, you have no news feeds from anyone.. i mean, even if somebody updated something 10 days ago, it should show right?
i have always seen stuff like "so and so are friends"
friend: yes it should
me: or "so and so commented" etc

absolutely nothing is there on my home page!!!!!!
friend: logout and log in again and see

and then check ur settings if u have hidden all updates or something
me: i checked settings..
phew! i logged out and back in, it is all there!
It was seriously such a moment of panic for me to realize that I didn't know what my friends were up to! On certain days, when I wake up very early in the morning and don't see anybody online on gchat, I get so scared and so worried that something has majorly gone wrong in the world and I am not aware of it. I immediately check a couple of news channels online to see if that is the case. In the worst cases of fear, I raise the blinds and look through the windows to see if things look normal outside.

Once, one of my friends sms'd people saying, "SOS. Gmail not working. I am already having withdrawal symptoms." We are more dependent on and addicted to these social networking sites than we can even imagine. Even if we are not regular 'pingers', 'scrappers' or 'wall-writers', we certainly get a deep sense of security and belonging by the sheer knowledge that we are connected to so many people, even though we may not have met many in many many years. And yes, not to forget how entertaining these sites can be! They certainly do their part in destressing us at the end of the day and bringing a smile on our faces. :)

7 comments:

Vaga Bond said...

For the benefit of readers, that friend is me :P
I love stalking people on orkut, fb, gtalk and blogs!!!

Unknown said...

So true. We tend to get so much info about our friends from the social networking sites. I wonder how were we staying in touch with friends 10 years back (or even before the telephone ages). And, ya, it has an uncanny resemblance to my post too :)

Cosmos said...

@Borna - you e-stalk people?!! bhery bad.. :P

Himanshu said...

Agreed. Social networking sites and chatting tools are just indepensable now.
So is it disheartening to know that we are so dependant on technology to stay in touch with our near and dear ones? or is it satisfying to know that we have actually advanced to this massive level through technology.. a trade off i guess.. :-)
i sometimes think to myself as to whether it is surprising enough to let technology invade human emotions? imagine a guy proposing a girl through gchat or something.. is does not sound absurd anymore.. does it? ;-)

Cosmos said...

@Himanshu:

The role of technology in keeping us connected to our dear ones certainly isn't disheartening. The advancement is also something to take pride in. Technology invading human emotions -- well, even if the proposal happens over gchat, the chemistry will not be discovered unless the parties meet. So, yeah -- if technology advances to such an extent that emoticons can actually convey the chemistry, it would be a sad end to all the romantic poets out there.

On an aside, are you intending to propose to someone over gchat?! :P Come on Himanshu! You can do better than that am sure!! :D

Unknown said...

@Cosmos: Look who's talking about e-stalking :P I utter a name, and you are out there searching for his/her name on orkut/fb :)

Cosmos said...

:P